Exchange 2010 schema update silently fails – WinRM error

Posted: February 22, 2012 in Exchange 2010, Info
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Yesterday I ran into a problem which was often discussed before by my colleagues and me.

I wanted to prepare the AD schema update before installing Exchange 2010. The “setup /pad” and “setup /ps” commands ran without any errors so I started to install Exchange 2010 (SP2).

The Installation itself ran without any errors, too. After rebooting the freshly installed Exchange 2010 server I wanted to opend the EMC and the EMS – and got one of these annoying WinRM management startup failures.

So I did it as recommended by MS and used the articles provided by TechNet and EHLO Team Blog and finally used the Exchange Management Troubleshooter (EMTShooter) without any hint or solution – the EMTShooter only detected an unknown error.

I called my colleague Stephan H.  (A big thank you, Stephan, for the memory of this topic) and he put me on the right track. A virus scanner was installed and activated on the schema master. Several times he had this issue: The schema update seemed to run properly but after installing Exchange 2010 strange errors occured.

The solution was very easy. I deactivated the virus scanner on the schema master and rerun Exchange 2010′s “setup /ps”. After finishing the PrepareSchema I rebooted the Exchange 2010 server and everything worked fine. In this case the AntiVirus software blocked the “evil” remote PowerShell.

Cheers,

Chris

About these ads

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s