Posts Tagged ‘2003’

Recently I had a problem while migrating a customers’  Exchange 2003 to MSX2010. The mailbox migration went well, and so we deleted all mailstorage groups on the Exchange 2003 Backend server.

After this we started to move the public folders on a Exchange 2003 Frontend server and triggered the “Move-All-Repicas” script on the Exchange 2010, too.

Nothing happened – no messages in the event log. After several attempts the customer tested to move the public folders on the original BE server and immediately appeared the error: “Error c1050000 MSexchangeIS – Profile is not configured”. (Thank you, Joerg;-))

After brief research, it turned out that this error occurs if on the public folders’ source server no mailbox storage group is configured.

After re-create a storage group and and information store mailbox replication worked as expected.

Cheers,

Chris

Yesterday I got a problem while migrating a fileserver cluster from Windows 2003 to Windows 2008 R2.

We wanted to migrate a big fileserver cluster with several volumes by mirroring the SAN LUNs, break the mirrors and mount them to the new Windows 2008 R2 fileserver.

After mounting the partitions to the new cluster we set up a new virtual fileserver and created some shares. With one partition/share we run in the following error:

The shared ressource is not available.

After some investigation we figured out that the SYSTEM group doesn’t had permissions on the partition at root level so the cluster service running with local system account can’t initialize the share.

After adding SYSTEM at root level with full access sharing of this partition was possible:

Cheers,

Chris

Today I had to extend the partition of a Windows 2003 Server.

In the past I did this several times with diskpart:

diskpart.exe -> list volumes
select volume [number of the partition to extend]
extend volume size=[SIZE TO EXTEND in MB]

After doing this, diskpart and the Windows Disk Management show the extended size but Windows Explorer didn’t so. A colleague pointed a KB article to me which described this behaviour.

You have type in another diskpart command (brought with SP2 – otherwise there is a hotfix):

diskpart.exe
select volume [number of the partition to extend]
extend filesystem

Now the whole space could be seen in the Explorer, too.

Read more:
KB325590
KB832316

Cheers,

Chris

Randy just released the Outlook Calendar Checking Tool, for short CalCheck.

It’s a very useful tool to solve those tricky calendar problems an Exchange admin is often confronted with.
My special thanks to Kottee, who informed me about the release.

CalCheck – The Outlook Calendar Checking Tool

Cheers,

Chris

The need to remove a (legacy) Exchange server using ADSIEdit could have several reasons. The method using ADSIEdit to remove an Exchange server should only be used carefully.

The most common reasons are listed below:

  • The deinstallation didn’t finish properly and left attributes or entries in Active Directory
  • The Exchange server is permanent offline Exchange and should be removed
  • An Exchange installation didn’t finish properly and the attributes and entries shoould be removed

To remove the server open ADSI-Edit and go to configuration

Navigate to this path:

CN=Configuration,DC=DOMAIN,DC=LOCAL
CN=Services
CN=Microsoft Exchange
CN=EXCHANGE_ORG
CN=Administrative Groups

for Exchange 2003
CN=First Administrative Group

for Exchange 2007
CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)

for Exchange 2010
CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)

CN=Servers

Within the container CN=Servers you can see you installed legacy Exchange servers. By right-click and hit delete you can remove the objects. You can also remove single objects of a server like public folder databases.

Refer to this article to see how to remove public folders in the different versions of Exchange.

Cheers,

Chris

Often I’m confronted with problems of mail submissions in freshly migrated Exchange environments.

In migrated environments it could happen, that the old ExchangeLegacyDN is missing and users can’t answer on old mails. This might happen, when you migrate users between Exchange organizations.

To mitigate this issue, you can add the old ExchangeLegacyDN as X500 proxy address. This fixes the issue and the user’s mailbox is addressable via the old LegacyDN.

You can do this by hand, by ADModify.NET or simple use PowerShell to fix this.

Get-Mailbox -recipienttype ‘usermailbox’ | foreach {$_emailaddress += [microsoft.exchange.data.custom.proxyaddress](“X500:/O=ORG/OU=US/CN=$_.ALIAS”)$_set-mailbox}

Thanks to Frank for this helpful PowerShell cmdlet.

Cheers,

Chris