Posts Tagged ‘fails’

Yesterday I ran into a problem which was often discussed before by my colleagues and me.

I wanted to prepare the AD schema update before installing Exchange 2010. The “setup /pad” and “setup /ps” commands ran without any errors so I started to install Exchange 2010 (SP2).

The Installation itself ran without any errors, too. After rebooting the freshly installed Exchange 2010 server I wanted to opend the EMC and the EMS – and got one of these annoying WinRM management startup failures.

So I did it as recommended by MS and used the articles provided by TechNet and EHLO Team Blog and finally used the Exchange Management Troubleshooter (EMTShooter) without any hint or solution – the EMTShooter only detected an unknown error.

I called my colleague Stephan H.  (A big thank you, Stephan, for the memory of this topic) and he put me on the right track. A virus scanner was installed and activated on the schema master. Several times he had this issue: The schema update seemed to run properly but after installing Exchange 2010 strange errors occured.

The solution was very easy. I deactivated the virus scanner on the schema master and rerun Exchange 2010’s “setup /ps”. After finishing the PrepareSchema I rebooted the Exchange 2010 server and everything worked fine. In this case the AntiVirus software blocked the “evil” remote PowerShell.

Cheers,

Chris

In the past I’ve often seen misconfigured NTFS rights cause OAB download fails in Outlook 2007 and 2010.

In a standard installation of Exchange 2010 the OAB’s physical directory points to:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\OAB\GUID-XXXXX-YYYYYY-ZZZZZ

You’ve to controll if the “Authenticated Users” group has permissions to read on your OAB directory (-> right click  GUID-XXXXX-YYYYYY-ZZZZZ -> security) and if this right is inherited.

Cheers,

Chris